It’s barbeque season. If you’re like most people, then you probably already know what meat (or meat substitute) dishes you’ll be placing on the coals this grilling season. But have you already thought about what side dishes you’ll be having with them?
Regardless of how good your main dish is, everyone’s enjoyment of your BBQ experience can be greatly increased with one of our delicious, easy-to-prepare side dishes.
To help you avoid analysis paralysis, we’ve separated these mouth-watering side dishes into two categories: grilled side dishes and fresh salads. Let’s bite in!
More Cooking Articles:
- UK Outdoor Fire Laws: Fire Pits, Garden Bonfires, and Campfires
- Lekto Wood Fuels’ Top 10 Tips For Cooking With Firewood
- 4 Delicious Smoked Fruit Recipes for 2022 Summer BBQ
Super Simple Grilled Side Dishes
Mouth-Watering Grilled Watermelon
Total Cooking Time: 10-12 Minutes
An amazing dish with a unique flavour that is loved by all and takes just a few minutes to prepare. Here’s how you make it:
- Mix 2 parts sugar, one part salt, and a little bit of lime zest.
- Cut watermelon into wedges and lay them on a sheet tray.
- Sprinkle your seasoning mixture over both sides of the watermelon wedges and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Remove excess moisture using paper towels.
- Cook over direct heat for between 2 minutes (if you’re using our premium Lumpwood Charcoal) and 4 minutes (if you’re using supermarket charcoal briquettes) on each side.
Perfect Grilled Corn on a Cob
Total Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
An easy-to-prepare immortal, fun-to-eat barbeque classic that everyone will appreciate. It’s one of the easiest dishes to prepare:
- Preheat your grill and add your dehusked corn.
- Cook it, turning regularly, until it’s charred all over.
- Spread salted butter over the cooked corn.
All-Star Baked Potatoes
Total Cooking Time: 40-50 Minutes
An amazing barbeque side dish that will be loved by kids and adults alike. Here’s the best way to prepare it:
- Make sure your grill is preheated and your coals are supplying plenty of heat.
- Wash your potatoes and use a fork to poke them full of holes.
- Pat them dry, coat with refined oil, and wait for all excess grease to drip off.
- Coat each potato with coarse salt, then wrap it in foil.
- Place directly on your grill and close the lid.
- Cook for about 30-40 minutes.
Perfect Fresh BBQ Salads
Refreshing Cucumber Salad
Total Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
A light, refreshing salad that is perfect for hot weather. Here’s how to make it:
- Cut a pound of cucumbers into slices and place into a bowl
- Add 1.5 tablespoons of sugar and 1.5 tablespoons of salt. Stir.
- Stir in half a thinly sliced onion and 2.5 tablespoons of red wine vinegar.
- Let rest for 10 minutes and serve.
Amazing Watermelon Salad With Feta Cheese and Mint
Total Cooking Time: 5 Minutes
Spice up your next BBQ with a unique and original salad that is incredibly quick to prepare. Here’s how to make it in just 5 minutes:
- Whisk together a quarter cup of extra-virgin olive oil, half a tablespoon of coarse salt, and two tablespoons of red wine vinegar in a small bowl.
- Combine three cups of cubed watermelon, one cup of crumbled feta cheese, half a cup of red onion, and half a cup of coarsely chopped mint.
- Add in the dressing you prepared. Mix everything together.
Traditional Dutch Coleslaw
The fact that coleslaw is undoubtedly more popular in America than it is here in the UK doesn’t make it any less tasty. Here’s how to make this classic Dutch side dish in just 5 minutes using pre-shredded coleslaw mix:
Total Cooking Time: 5 Minutes
- Put half a cup of mayonnaise, two tablespoons of sugar, one and a half tablespoons of lemon juice, a tablespoon of white vinegar, a quarter cup of coarse salt, and half a tablespoon of ground black pepper into a mixing bowl.
- Add in supermarket coleslaw mix and mix everything together.
- Refrigerate for between two to three hours before serving.